Instructions for Adults
Before the procedure:
- You should arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to the scheduled surgery.
- You must be accompanied by a responsible adult to drive you home.
- No Transportation by BUS. Arrangements must be made for someone to stay with you for the rest of the day.
- We ask that you wear loose-fitting comfortable clothes with short sleeves. High heeled shoes are not permitted. Jewelry should be removed.
- Devices such as tongue or nose studs must be removed.
Preoperative Tests & Physical Exam
Depending on your age and health, you may be required to see your medical doctor before the surgery. Some preoperative tests may be necessary. These tests usually consist of simple blood work and/or EKG. The type of tests you will need are decided by your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Your doctor will inform you as to when and where the tests can be completed.
It is very important that you have nothing to eat or drink after midnight prior to the scheduled procedure. You may brush your teeth but do not swallow any water. If the surgery is scheduled in the afternoon, you may have clear liquids (apple juice, broth, tea, jello) up to 3 hours before your appointment. Milk, coffee, and orange juice are not considered clear liquids. If you have special health considerations that would not allow you to fast, such as diabetes, hypoglycemia, or other problems, please tell our office when they contact you.
If you would normally be taking prescription medications on the day of the procedure, it is important to continue them unless directed otherwise
by our office. Your medications may be taken with a small sip of water. If you are unable to take them for any reason, such as they must be taken
with food, contact our office for instructions.
Adult Postoperative Instruction
After the procedure:
- Do not return to work or school
- Do not operate an automobile or machinery of any kind for at least twenty-four (24) hours or until fully recovered. Refrain from strenuous activity.
- Do not prepare or cook food
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not make any important decisions or sign any important documents.
- Follow the diet plan suggested by the surgeon and anesthesiologist.
- Food: Do not eat or drink anything after midnight unless otherwise instructed
- Drugs: Take prescription medications as you normally do unless otherwise instructed. If you must take medications with food, do so with a few teaspoonfuls of plain jello.
- Home-Care: Arrange for someone to remain in the office during your appointment and be with you at home on the day of your procedure.
- Instructions: Our office will be calling you approximately three days before the scheduled procedure with additional instructions and to process billing. If you are unable to return our call by 3 PM the day prior to the procedure, we will not reserve your anesthesia appointment.
- Finances: We ask you to be informed of your insurance benefits and limitations. Frequently there is a “copay” or “deductible” that must be paid. Please be aware that in some instances there is little or no coverage. You may be responsible for up to $500 or more, payable at the time of the procedure. If this is a concern please call our office as soon as possible.